Posted by : Kapil Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Here's a snapshot of Enrollment in Higher Education in India and target for 12th Five Year Plan 

  • The target is to increase enrollment to about 36 million by 2016-17 (vs 26 million in 2011-12).
  • This implies a CAGR of only 6.7% (vs 9.4% achieved in the 11th Plan. 
  • ~60% of the additional enrollment is planned from Private HE institutes. 
Despite the lower growth target, this may turn out to be a stretch due to a number of factors including slowdown of the economy and regulatory uncertainty. The dichotomy is that Indian laws prohibit profit making from education, yet expect private enterprises to keep investing in education. The problem with current set-up is two fold 

  • Not all the money that would otherwise be invested in the sector would come in 
  • Of the money that does come in, a large proportion of money invested would be by people who believe that they can "manage" the system. The outsourcing model that this system compels, leaves not money to be reinvested back in the education system to improve quality of education besides being used to increase the number of seats. 
Even if India were to achieve this, GER would still be ~25% meaning the other 75% have no access to Higher Education. We are not even planning to provide them an opportunity for this. Indian urgently needs to open up Higher Education.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Popular Post

Blogger templates

- Copyright © India Investment Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -